Hong Kong on a budget

Robin

It might be as a surprise to some that Hong Kong is one of the most expensive countries in Asia to go travelling in. In this thread, let's discuss some ways to explore the administrative region without breaking the bank.

• Like 1
  • Super Like 1

• Founder & Company Director

When you went to Hong Kong, which side of the river did you stay and how much did you pay for your hotel? I remember from when I went many years ago that hotel rooms were both very very expensive and very small.

A good location for budget stays in Chungking Mansions in Kowloon (https://g.co/kgs/nZqtHza), I prefer that side of the river tbh.

I also sticked to Kowloon. I liked being close to Nathan Road and to utilize the Tsuen Wan line as the main form of transportation.

Hotels:

The first hotel I went to was YesInn at Yau Ma Tei. (https://maps.app.goo.gl/QvM3Errn7SKbgUTY7). I paid 39,- euros a night for a private room. The room was utterly tiny but at least it was clean, the bed was nice, and it came with your own bathroom. As expected of youth hostels it has a nice area for you to lounge in.

The second hotel I went to was The Nap, this is a capsule hotel near Tsim Sha Tsui (https://maps.app.goo.gl/jvzpWVefBv3G9ERv7) for 46,- euros a night. I honestly can't recommend this one, unless you have a good reason to stay near TST as there's not much cheaper options. I have no problems of sleeping in a pod, but it seems to me they tried to cheap out by having a digital check-in and relying on a single cleaner to upkeep the entire hotel. The end result is barely any oversight on operations.
The USB ports in the pod were broken and the outlet also didn't work, meaning you're shit outta luck if you'd like to have a fully charged phone in the morning. The washing machine they advertised with ended up being in the private area for women (lol)

• Like 1
  • Super Like 1

Food and drinks

Honestly what came as a surprise to me is that the hole in the walls in Hong Kong are not affordable. You're better off going to a nice place if you want to check out the local cuisine as it won't make much of a difference when paying your bill. For cheap places to eat, I'd recommend sticking to chain restaurants like

1. Sukiya, a gyudon place starting at just 3,- euros for a bowl.
  2. Saizeriya, a restaurant that tries to be Italian. Most of their food looks like it comes straight out of the microwave, but the taste is amazing and they offer a lot of comfort foods

Alcohol is expensive where ever you go. Public drinking is allowed though, so it might be cool to crack open some 7-eleven beers in the park.

• Like 1
  • Super Thanks 1

Horse Racing

In Hong Kong, Wednesday is race day. Loads of people gather around to bet on a few horses while enjoying a few beers and some McD's. With an entrance fee of only 1,- euros it's definitely worth taking in the atmosphere.

Transportation

The Octopus card is ubiquitous in Hong Kong. I'd recommend buying one at the nearest subway and topping it up with at least 100-200 HKD$. You can use it at the subway, the bus station, but also at most chain restaurants and convenience stores.

• Like 1
  • Super Like 1